Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters (DHQ) says joint counterterrorism operations conducted with the United States Africa Command have killed 175 ISIS-linked fighters in North-East Nigeria, marking one of the most significant recent offensives against extremist networks in the Lake Chad region.
In a statement issued on Monday, Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, disclosed that the coordinated air interdiction campaign targeted multiple ISIS and ISWAP strongholds and logistics bases across the region.
According to the military, the operations — launched in collaboration with the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) — destroyed terrorist checkpoints, weapons storage facilities, logistics hubs, operational equipment, and financing structures used to sustain insurgent activities.
The Defence Headquarters said battle damage assessments conducted as of May 19, 2026, confirmed that 175 terrorists had been eliminated during the operations.
Among those reportedly killed was Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, whom the Nigerian military described as one of the most influential ISIS operatives globally.
According to DHQ, al-Minuki coordinated external operations involving terrorist financing, recruitment, logistics management, and attack planning targeting Nigeria and other international locations.
Military authorities said his death is expected to significantly weaken ISIS-linked operational coordination, propaganda capabilities, and external attack planning networks in West Africa.
Other senior insurgent figures reportedly neutralised during the operation include Abd-al Wahhab, identified as a senior ISWAP commander involved in operational coordination and propaganda distribution; Abu Musa al-Mangawi, another senior ISWAP figure; and Abu al-Muthanna al-Muhajir, a senior media operative linked to the group’s propaganda activities.
Security analysts view the intensified Nigeria-US cooperation as part of broader regional efforts to curb the resurgence of ISIS-affiliated groups operating across the Lake Chad Basin, where insurgent attacks continue to threaten civilian populations, humanitarian operations, and economic activities.
The renewed offensive also underscores increasing intelligence-sharing and military collaboration between Nigeria and international partners aimed at disrupting extremist financing networks and stabilising conflict-affected regions critical to regional trade and investment.
The Nigerian military reiterated that ongoing operations would continue until terrorist networks threatening national security and regional stability are dismantled.



