TotalEnergies Strikes Oil, Gas in Offshore Nigeria 



The oil giant, TotalEnergies, on Tuesday announced the discovery of oil and gas in Ntokon, offshore Oil Mining Lease (OML) 102 Nigeria.

Nicolas Terraz, TotalEnergies’ President in-charge of Exploration and Production made the disclosure in a statement issued in Paris, France.

He stated: “The Ntokon discovery opens a promising outlook for a new tie-back development.

After the start-up of production of the Ikike tie-back on OML99 in 2022, this new success in the area further demonstrates the potential of nearby exploration to create value within our low cost, low emission strategy,” Terraz said.

Located in shallow waters, 60 km off the Southeast coast of Nigeria, the Ntokon-1AX discovery well, according to the statement, encountered 38 meters of net oil pay and 15 meters of net gas pay, while its side-track Ntokon-1G1 encountered 73 meters of net oil pay, in well-developed and excellent quality reservoirs.

According to the oil giant which has  huge presence in Nigeria for over four decades, Ntokon-1G1 tested successfully up to a maximum rate of about 5,000 barrels per day of 40° API oil.

“Located 20 km from the Ofon field facilities on OML102, Ntokon is planned to be developed through a tie-back to these existing facilities.

“OML 102 is operated by TotalEnergies EP Nigeria with a 40 per cent interest, alongside partner NNPC Ltd with the remaining 60 per cent,” the statement added.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *