The National Emmergency Management Agency (NEMA) has confirmed that the number of rescued body from the Lagos lagoon after the Mile 2-Ibeshe boat accident has reached 17 as at this morning (Wednesday).
Coordinator, Lagos Territorial Office, NEMA, Ibrahim Farinloye, confirmed to SlyeNews, that “17 bodies have been recovered so far from the Lagos Lagoon after the boat mishap”
He said recovery search continues.
Meanwhile, Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has ordered a probe into the July 8 boat accident in which lives were lost.
According to Slye News, Commissioner for Information & Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, said Sanwo-Olu is deeply saddened by the incident and commiserates with the families who lost their loved ones.
He said: “The police are probing what went wrong and treating the sad incident as criminal. The boat, which is said to be unlicensed, obviously broke the waterways rules of “no night travel” and no overloading. Besides, not all of the passengers wore life jackets and the boat did not take off from a government-approved jetty.
“The Lagos State Waterways Authority (LASWA), Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) and others are assisting the investigators.
“Anybody who is found to have contributed in any way to this tragedy will surely face the law to ensure that we do not have any such incidents in future. The waterways rules and regulations are clear; they must be respected in accordance with the greatest value that the Sanwo-Olu administration places on human life,” he said.