Gunmen strike again in Ebonyi, Kaduna communities, troops repel terrorists’ incursion in Borno

0

CBN

Gunmen kill 6 in Ebonyi, Kaduna communities, troops repel terrorists'  incursion, eliminate scores in Borno | Blueprint Newspapers Limited
Some gunmen Monday morning killed four persons in Otuebu and Obodo Ocha villages, Umuogodo-Akpu Ngbo community in Ohaukwu local government area of Ebonyi state.
The attack which took place at about 4am came two weeks after herdsmen attacked Egedegede community, Ishielu local government area and killed many people.
Preceding this was another incident were about 20 persons were killed by suspected herdsmen in four villages in Ohaukwu local government area of the state.
The attackers were alleged to have invaded the village and burnt down about seven houses, with many victims sustaining various degrees of injuries while vehicles and motorcycles were also burnt.
Stanley Emegha, state Commissioner for Border Peace and  internal security, said his office was yet to  be informed about details of what happened, however that security personnel had repelled the attackers.
He said the government has dispatched security personnel there, as Soldiers have taken over the area and repelled the attackers.
The state Commissioner of Police, Garba Aliyu, who also confirmed the attack, said he was awaiting further information.
In a related development, two people were killed and seven houses, a car and motorcycle were burnt in Wawan Rafi II Village, Zangon Kataf local government area of Kaduna state, the government said.
The state commissioner for internal security and home affairs, Samuel Aruwan while making this public, said:  “Security agencies have reported that armed bandits this morning attacked Wawan Rafi II village, in Zangon Kataf local government area.
“According to the report, two persons were killed in the attack, identified as Joshua Dauda and his seven-year-old son Philip Dauda. Also, seven houses, one car and one motorcycle were burnt in the attack.
“Security patrols mobilized to the area, repelled the assailants, who retreated into the forests adjoining the location. The troops recovered eight empty cases of 7.62mm ammunition at the scene of the attack.
“So far, two corpses have been retrieved. The citizenry will be updated on further developments.
“Governor Nasir el-Rufai noted the reports with sadness, and prayed for the repose of the souls of those killed in the attack, while offering heartfelt condolences to their families,” Aruwan added.
The Nigerian Army also have said its troops supported by Air Component of Operation Lafiya Dole (OPLD), aborted Boko Haram Boko terrorists’ incursion into Damasak, Headquarters of Mobbar local government area of Borno state, killing scores in the process
Director Army Public Relations, Brig-Gen Mohammed Yerima, who said this Monday in a statement, said the feat was recorded Saturday.
He said the troops “engaged the terrorists with superior fire power both from the air and on the ground which compelled them to withdraw in disarray with several men and equipment casualty.”
The army spokesman said two gallant soldiers paid the supreme price while one officer and two other soldiers were injured in the encounter, noting that the injured were currently recuperating at a military hospital in Maiduguri.
He further said troops of Sector I, OPLD on picketing duty along Ngwom-Mafa-Maiduguri road had Sunday, killed seven members of the terrorist group and recovered four AK-47 rifles.
Yerima said the terrorists were supposedly lying in wait to attack troops and innocent citizens plying the busy road, but ran out of luck.
Also, the United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Edward Kallon, has lamented the incessant attacks by Boko Haram on international aid partners’ facilities in the North-east.
In a statement Kallon said three international aid partners’ facilities were directly targeted and set ablaze on Saturday by the terrorist group in Damasak, Borno state.
He decried the fact that the attack in Damasak would affect support to 8,800 internally displaced people and 76,000 people in the host community receiving humanitarian assistance and protection.
“I am deeply concerned about recurrent reports of violent attacks by non-state armed groups putting the lives of civilians under risks.
“Last night and through the morning, a violent attack in Damasak town, in Borno state, was reported with three international aid partners’ facilities directly targeted, set ablaze, and sustained damage. I continue to be concerned about the safety and security of civilians and humanitarian workers” the humanitarian coordinator stated.
He added that: “I strongly condemn the attack, as humanitarian aid operations and facilities are the lifeline for people affected by violence and conflict in North-east Nigeria who are dependent on assistance to survive.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *